How Modes Work
There are several methods of setting the mode of the line.
- Through OEE Operation segment execution
- By passing a tag value through the mode tag collector
- Via the system.mes.addTagCollectorValue scripting function
OEE Operation Segment Execution
The mode equipment is automatically derived based on the settings as defined in the OEE Material Manager when a production run is started through the OEE Run Director or MES Schedule View component. When an OEE operation is started, the mode as defined in the production settings complex property of the changeover segment is recorded as the state of the line and cells. When the Changeover operation is ended, the mode as defined in the production settings complex property of the production segment is recorded as the state of the line and cells. When the Operation is ended, the mode of the line and cells is set to idle.
Mode Tag Collector
The current mode can also be overridden by passing a tag value through the mode tag collector. See OEE 2.0 Downtime Tab - Equipment Mode for more details.
Setting Mode via Scripting
Equipment Mode Class
It is possible to create Equipment Mode classes that contains a set of Equipment Modes. The Equipment Mode class contains a number of pre-defined modes that you can use for all your lines or equipment. By default, we provide you with the Default Equipment Mode Class that contains the following Equipment Modes...
You can add or modify the equipment modes in the default class or create your own equipment mode class.
All Equipment Mode Classes must at least contain the Equipment Modes Idle, Changeover and Production or an error will be thrown.
Adding and Editing an Equipment Mode Class
- Select the production model item for which the equipment mode class is to be changed
- Click on the change button next to the equipment mode class
- The Equipment Mode List window appears. Click on Equipment Modes and select the New Equipment Mode Class
At the Equipment Mode Class level, Edit, Delete, Copy, Paste and Export operations are available. At the Equipment Mode level, only Paste, Import and Export operations are available.
- Enter a name for the Equipment Mode Class and assign security roles you who can modify this Equipment Mode Class
- Click Save
We cannot add an equipment mode class to an existing equipment mode class, but we can add an equipment state class to an existing equipment state class.
Adding and Editing Equipment Modes for an Equipment Mode Class
- Select the Equipment Mode Class you wish to modify and click on the New Equipment Mode to add a new Mode
- Select the Equipment Mode you wish to modify and click on the Edit to change the Mode
- The Edit Equipment Mode slide out will appear. Enter a name for the mode and select the type of mode. Valid Equipment Mode Types are...
- Assign a unique code to the new mode. This is used if you drive the mode of the equipment through a tag.
- Select whether production counts during this mode are collected
- Select whether counts and status during this mode are included in OEE calculations
- Click Save
Enter in the integer value for this equipment mode. This will generally align with the status code value from the PLC.
Undefined Equipment Mode Value
If an equipment mode value (code) appears that has not been previously assigned, Live Analysis will continue without error, but a log entry will be created to document the unknown equipment mode received:
"Unknown equipment mode (<mode>) for <equipmentPath> at <date>"
The Assigned Codes list provide a view of all codes that have already been assigned.
Include Production Counts
Include in OEE
When Include in OEE is selected, equipment states and counts that occur during this mode will be included in the OEE analysis. If the line is in a mode that has Include in OEE selected, then the elapsed time will start for OEE calculations. Planned downtime, unplanned downtime and runtime will be calculated based on changes of the equipment state and used to calculate OEE Availability. Line downtime events will be generated and displayed in the OEE Downtime Table component.
|Include In OEE||Include Production Counts||Description|
|Use for modes such as cleaning or testing, where OEE and production counts are irrelevant|
|Use for modes such as Changeover or Setup, where production counts are still required but downtime etc. should not be included in OEE calculations for the line|
|This is not a valid selection as production counts are required for OEE Performance and Quality Metrics|
|Use for mode such as Production where production counts and OEE data is required|
Delete Equipment Mode
- Click on the Equipment Mode to be deleted and select Delete
Copy and Paste Equipment Mode
- Select the Equipment Mode to be copied and click Copy
- Select the Equipment Mode Class to which the mode is copied and click Paste
- Expand the destination folder to see the pasted equipment mode
Export and Import Equipment Modes
- Select Equipment Modes and Click Export
- A file save dialog box will appear allowing you to select where to store the xml file
- Select Equipment Modes and Click Import
- Select the file to be imported and Click Open