Installing MES 3.0
There are four main installation steps required to setup an Ignition Gateway server and get it ready for an MES implementation.
- Install Ignition
- Install the Sepasoft MES Modules
- Setup the Database
- Configure the Gateway MES Settings
These steps are detailed in the first section Getting Set Up, of our online tutorial that will walk you through the process and continue by adding a production simulator, a base MES project and show you how to build from scratch an MES solution using our Track & Trace, OEE Downtime, Web Services and Instrument Interface modules.
You don't have to go through the entire tutorial, but do take a look at the Getting Set Up for installation instructions to get you started.
Upgrading to Sepasoft MES 3.0
Users should not attempt to upgrade from MES 1.0 directly to MES 3.0. Upgrade to MES 2.0 first and then upgrade to MES 3.0.
Module Upgrade Order
It is highly recommended that when pushing out updated/upgraded MES Modules throughout a multi-gateway Enterprise, that the upgrade be performed in layers, from the top down, beginning with the Enterprise gateway, then its immediate child gateways, then the next layer below, etc., until completed. After each layer is updated, verify successful startup before proceeding.
The recommended order is (verifying successful startup after each push):
- Both Site 1 and Site 2
- Line Server
Upgrading from MES 2.0 to MES 3.0
Follow the instructions below to upgrade an existing system from MES 2.0 to MES 3.0. If starting a fresh install of MES 3.0, use the instructions at the start of this page instead.
- Backup all database(s)
- Upgrade the Sepasoft MES Modules
- Perform the Enterprise Upgrade
Contact your Ignition account representative prior to beginning the upgrade to ensure your license is compatible with 3.0.
We have performed extensive, successful testing on actual customer systems during our development process, but we strongly suggest that you perform this upgrade on a “Development,” “QA,” or otherwise non-production gateway, to minimize downtime and ensure upgrade success.
- On the gateway page for the system you would like to upgrade, navigate to Modules on the CONFIGURE tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Install or Upgrade a Module…
- On the Install or Upgrade Module page, click Choose File and navigate to the location where you have saved the module files.
- Select the first module you would like to install. Note: Production-module.modl should be the last module installed.
- The license screen will appear. Read through the agreement and scroll to the bottom of the page. Check the box to cccept the terms in the License Agreement then click Accept License.
- The Module Certificate screen will appear next. Check the box to add the certificate to your trusted certificates and install the module. Click Add Certificates and Install Module.
- Perform steps 1-6 above for each additional module you will be installing.Production-module.modl should be the last module you install.
- Once all modules are installed, navigate to Logs on the STATUS tab. When the modules have finished installing and re-starting, a message will appear in the log instructing you to navigate to Enterprise Upgrade on the CONFIGURE tab.
- Navigate to the Enterprise Upgrade screen, read the warning, and then backup your gateway and database if desired (strongly recommended), Once ready to proceed, check the box to acknowledge the warning and click Begin Upgrade.
NOTE: depending on the size and contents of your database, the upgrade process could take hours to complete, during which time your database along with any designers and/or clients you have open will be unavailable, make sure you are prepared to be without them for an extended period of time.
Sample of the upgrade process:
- Refer to the Licenses Views page in the MES Equipment Manager component to activate licensing for the modules.